Tuesday 22 November 2016

What Would You Tell Your Younger Self?

Hi everyone,

It's a cold day in Glasgow and it's safe to say that winter is well and truly on it's way. As I travelled to work this morning, I saw many faces. Tired, happy, some sad. I saw pensioners going to the shops, teenagers going to school and adults heading to their place of work or study.

I noticed a group of teenage girls in particular, taking a 'bus selfie', laughing and gossiping. It got me thinking about when I was in high school and the dreams I had when I attended school. I over heard one girl saying she wanted to study medicine, one of her friends laughed and said, 'but you hate needles and blood, you couldn't work in Medicine or in a Doctors.'

Her statement hit home for me even though I wasn't part of the conversation. The girl didn't say anything and remained quiet until they got to their destination. I felt a little sad for her.

I remember being in school and teachers, friends and even some family members telling me I couldn't do certain things, or study at a certain level. I had people who encouraged me also, but the main thing that stuck in my mind was that I couldn't do it.

At 14, I wanted to be a Forensic Scientist. I always had an interest in Biology and how things worked with the body. I watched all the CSI programmes and read up on forensics. There were so many people, including teachers who told me it was a ridiculous idea. I even had one teacher tell me that she could see me working at a checkout in a supermarket and that would be all I could be.

That has always stuck with me what my teacher said and that girl on the bus this morning, I wanted to tell her to ignore her friends and just go for it. But I couldn't. 

If I had to go back and talk to my younger self, I would have told me to not listen to those people who didn't have faith in me, work hard and show them, instead of sitting in my bedroom looking at things that I knew I could do. I changed my mind so many times and made so many plans which I started and never completed.

I've started to make plans and I'm determined to stick to them for the next two years.

I guess my point this week is when someone tells you that you can't do something, smile and prove them wrong. Or when someone tells you that they want to do something, make something, then encourage them and help them get to that goal if you can, because somewhere there is someone at home, in the pub or even at school/college is telling them they can't and if they hear it often enough, they won't.

As frustrating as it can be to hear it or to not do well in certain areas, my Mum used to tell me that Rome wasn't built in a day! How right she is.

Take time, make plans, be patient and breathe.

Have a great week!

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment