Sunday 7 August 2016

Tough Mudder 2016 - Let's Go Girls!

Hello folks! 

I hope you're all well this week.

This week has been busy with work but on Saturday, I completed the biggest challenge of my life so far, Tough Mudder Yorkshire 2016.

I've been training for Tough Mudder for about two, maybe three months but nothing could have prepared me for the real thing. Put it this way, I had mud in parts of me that you couldn't even begin to imagine. 

Tough Mudder isn't a competitive sport, ta all about working together to reach the end goal of running through electrical wires, which it pains me to say, I didn't run through the wires. I was too exhausted and frightened if I'm honest. It doesn't make me a bad sport, some things just aren't for you. I completed majority of the obstacles, the more muddy I got, the more I enjoyed it. 

The course was 13 miles with an obstacle every half mile. I didn't complete the course alone, I did it with my colleagues. I went through the finish line with my girls and I was so proud of all of us. 

Those 13 miles were not easy. Each obstacle made you test yourself with everything you had. If you really didn't feel ok about it, you didn't do it. It doesn't make you a bad person for missing an obstacle, it means that you just aren't ready yet. These things come with time, it's all a mental game. When I got to the 10th mile, I was ready to just throw the towel in. I was up to my chest in thick mud, I had slightly injured my wrist, I was soaking wet and it was a roasting hot day. My body wasn't aching you understand, it was my mind, it was telling me that I needed to stop. At that point, I had taken my energy gel and hoped my thoughts would get out. 

They did. I even jogged a little! I tried my best and it was all I could do. I started the course at 10am and finished it before 3pm. I took my time, went me own pace and I tried almost everything. I got over my fear of freezing cold water and heights! 

It was an amazing experience and as I write about it, everything aches but I can truly say it was worth every moment. 

My message this week? If you really want to challenge yourself, have fun with friends or just test your ability to complete the course? Do Tough Mudder. The training? Run. Run as much as you can. Mentally prepare yourself for the mud! 

It was the best thing I've ever done and I am proud of myself and my teammates! 

Now? I'm leaving on a jet plane... To Santa Ponsa to lie on a sun lounger and just relax those muscles! 

Have a fantastic week folks! 

Cx



No comments:

Post a Comment